How do I do newfs on an HD80SC with a 50 meg /root&/usr part?

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Wed Oct 31 08:35:33 AEST 1990

I would like to alter the default partitioning of my internal 80
meg hard disk on my Mac II cx.  I need to run National Instruments'
Labview II, which does not coexist happily under A/UX, requiring 12
megs of Mac filesystem to load.  The system came with A/UX
pre-installed, so it looks like some creativity may be required.

Hence I have embarked on the interesting trail of constructing a
new Unix file system of the requisite size.  Let me reoucont what
I've done so far.

0.  do a find / -name "*" -print | cpio -ocB > /dev/rfloppy0 and
    make back-ups of everything in the Mac partition.

1.  Use Sash to set up new partitions:
     51200 Kb /root&/usr slice
      8192 Kb swap slice
      3072 Kb escatology slice
    ~17516 Kb Mac partition  (forget the exact number at the
                              moment, but it was whatever was
                              leftover after setting up the A/UX
                              partitions)

2.  Reload the system folder, Mac bin, escher, read_disk, escher,
    and A/UX startup files from backups that I'd made.

3.  while ( 1 ) { scratch head; hmmmm.... }

4.  At this point I called Apple tech support for suggestions.  I
had tried to do a newfs for rdsk/c0d0s0, but ran into the catch-22
that there t'aint no /etc/disktab from which to get parameters.
Tech support wasn't sure either, but suggested going with a mkfs
for a Sys V file system.

I did a mkfs for a 102400 block file sysetem, and that seemed to
work.  I think I am running into problems because the Sys V file
system doesn't get along with some of the long names in the cpio
archive from the original Berkeley file system.

The A/UX dealer in the area is about a 50 mile drive from here, so
I thought I'd like to do the restore myself (and get a file system
education at the same time) if possible.  The other question is, "Is
it possible to have anynthing other (i.e. smaller) than the 55 meg
default /root&/usr partition size and still do the canned install?"
(if I give up and go to the dealer for a re-load)

Thanks a bunch,
Bill

--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511