finder info and file dragging

Bob Lantz lantz at Apple.COM
Tue Oct 16 08:05:03 AEST 1990

Mark,

You wrote:

>It seems that when I drag a file from a "Mac" disk that has type TEXT to
>an AUX directory and then use fcnvt to get the data fork, I always have
>my new lines converted. I do not know where the process is happening,

In the file manager.  See "Text Files," page 6-7 in the "A/UX Toolbox:
Macintosh ROM Interface" manual chapter "File Systems and File Formats."

>nor do I see any way to stop it short of changing the file TYPE on the
>Mac disk before moving the file. (This situation arises because the FTP
>program from Stanford that I use always tags files as "TEXT".)

;-( It's not nice to fool the file manager.

>Any suggestions?

Use setfile to change the type, e.g. "setfile -t 'A/UX' 'Mac Disk:file'"
before moving it.  This has the added advantage of putting the data fork
in its own file.

>And while I have your attention, does someone have a list of good
>Mac-specific commands to know about in 2.0, like fcnvt? I'd gladly read
>the manual if I can figure out what to ask for! "apropos mac" doesn't
>yield anything!

ls /mac/bin yields the MPW tools we have: rez, derez, and setfile,
as well as the changesize, launch and cmdo utilities. I might add that
in addition to Macintosh applications, text-based MPW tools can be
launched from the Unix shells.

>		-Mark

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team