xinit under A/UX

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Oct 10 15:02:31 AEST 1990

seth at aic.dpl.scg.hac.com (Seth Goldman 317-5693) writes:
>All of a sudden I can't run X as anyone other than
>superuser.  Somehow I must have trashed the protection
>on some file/device/directory.  My xinit/XmacII process
>quits immediately reporting "killed.".  How do I fix this?

The most likely bet is that you've messed up the protections on
/usr/local/shlib. It, and the files in it, need to be r-xr-xr-x
(well, rwxr-xr-x won't hurt :-)). The key is world read-execute --
shared libraries need to be executable as well as readable.

If that's not it, check protections on: the clients (obviously),
the fonts (the server will die without them), and maybe the
other files in /usr/local/X11/lib/X11...

--John