TeX or LaTex

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Wed Oct 31 19:46:43 AEST 1990

MATLEVAN at EKU (Jerry LeVan) in <AUXPOST%90102415420871 at PUCC.BITNET> writes:

	Does anybody know if there is a binary FTPable version of LaTeX/TeX
	floating round out there (A/UX 2.0)?

	I probally do not have enough room for the sources :-(

Sorry, I haven't seen TeX/LaTeX in distributable executable form for A/UX,
but you're not joking about not having enough room.  I just put together a
collection of all the TeX stuff (sources, fonts, DVIware, MetaFont, etc.) for
someone else and the compressed tar files added up to 22MB.

You could run a reasonable subset with about 5 to 6MB HD space, but it's
always nice to have "everything" just in case special requirements pop up.

I don't have enough spare HD space on any of my A/UX systems (and these all
have multiple 100+ MB HDs) to compile the collection, but I do have it up
on my 3B1 and Amiga systems (thank goodness for mongo Maxtor HDs).

Sources for most TeX-ware can be found at labrea.stanford.edu (IP 36.8.0.47),
science.utah.edu (IP 118.110.192.2), and pawl.rpi.edu (IP 128.113.10.2).

The central TeX clearinghouse for all-system distribution is in Sunnyvale CA
and they charge only media and handling fees (my recollection is that about
US$90 brings you everything); sorry, don't have the contact info available.

The only TeX-related address I found in my files is:

	TeX Users Group
	c/o American Mathematical Society
	P. O. Box 9506
	Providence, RI  02940-9506

I could make available what I have as a cpio saveset on 60MB DC600A tapes but
I, too, must charge media and handling costs commensurate with my time
required and wear-and-tear on the tape drives (have you ever heard the phrase
"shoe-shining your data"? :-) You'd be advised to contact the TeX Users Group
(because you don't want to know what I'd charge! :-)

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]