A/UX 2.0 problems with /dev/ttyC? windows - system crash

Bill Mayhew wtm at uhura.neoucom.EDU
Fri Oct 19 01:20:07 AEST 1990

System:  A/UX 2.0
Machine: Mac II CX
Memory: 4 meg
Drive: 80 meg internal Quantum SCSI
Monitor:  256 color card + color monitor running in 4 color mode

I have my machine set to come up in multifinder, requiring manually
firing up A/UX.  When I am in A/UX I log in as non-root user.  I
have selected ksh as my shell.

I've noticed that if I have a process updating a burried window,
that eventually after 12 hours or so the system will halt.  There
is no kernel panic dump on the screen.  The mouse pointer is still
mobile, but there is no response to clicking or typing.  The only
way out is to hit ye olde programmer's switch.

You can reproduce this yourself by firing up /usr/games/worms in a
command window, then pop up another command window, drag on top of
the worms window and run something like "while true do cat
/etc/termcap done" in the top window.  After some indeterminite
time, the system will poop out.

Anybody else experienced this?  It seems to only occur in
overlapping windows.  I've experimented with running the above in
two windows that are not overlapping, and it's been running for
about the last four days.  I still am suspicious about my hardware.
About 5 days after I got my system, the G.L.U. chip went south and
started to cause all sorts of weird kernel panics.  The mahcine was
in the shop for a couple of weeks waiting for a new motherboard.
Alas, my 30 days of free A/UX support dried up while waiting for
repairs.

==Bill==
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511