UUCP on A/UX

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Wed Oct 31 13:31:33 AEST 1990

cbradley at blackbox.lonestar.org (Chris Bradley) writes:
>>It seems that when someone tries to call up the system at home (via
>>UUCP) they get the following message... "HANDSHAKE FAILED: Remote
>>Refused After Login". I'm a bit puzzled, since I can call up and start a
>>session with out any problems. I thought it might be the callers
>>settings may be wrong, but I can switch my setting (from 8-N-1 to 7-E-2
>>and so on) and still have no problems logging in and moving about the
>>system.

>It seems that you're having a problem with the added security of A/UX's
>UUCP.  You might start by taking a look at your Permissions file and see
>if you have added an LOGNAME entry for the remote system, and that the
>READ, WRITE, COMMANDS, SENDFILES and REQUEST fields are all correct for
>that remote host.

  That'd be a really neat trick, since A/UX UUCP doesn't *have* a Permissions
file (unless someone snuck HoneyDanBer onto A/UX 2.0.1 in the dead of night :-)
I know for a fact all releases of A/UX <=2.0 came with old-style (or
"Version 2", as the O'Reilly book calls it) UUCP, *not* HoneyDanBer.
  That said, I'd definitely suspect some problem with the permissions
setup and config file somewhere.  Make sure that the L.sys file is
readable by UUCP (and no one else) and has the proper system name in
it and that the USERFILE looks reasonable (definition of "reasonable"
to be found in the book mentioned below :-).  If the caller's system is
HDB, you might ask him to check all *his* fiddly little Permissions files...

>An excellent reference for managing UUCP is found in "Managing uucp and
>Usenet" (O'Reilly, T, and Todino, G.; 1990 O'Reilly and Associates).

Agreed.  Don't even think of administering a UUCP setup without a copy of this
book.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Cancelling a posted message means posting a cancel message."-Maarten Litmaath