A/UX 2.0 and Chooser and Appletalk

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Mon Oct 29 12:45:00 AEST 1990

rudd at calvin.Stanford.EDU (Kevin W. Rudd) writes:

>try to use Mac applications which use the printer.  I have an
>Imagewriter II hooked up and it prints beautifully with lpr et al.
>as long as I am running A/UX stuff.  However, when I try to run Mac
>stuff and change the printer to the printer port without appletalk,
>I am prompted with dialogs to remove appletalk and ensure cables are
>disconnected.  The selection then immediately returns to the modem
>port.

  There's a known bug (well, Apple oughta know about it, I've told them on
this newsgroup often enough :-) in the handling of the "printer"/AppleTalk
serial port.  Simply move your printer to the "modem" port and your modem
to the "printer" port and reconfig. the software appropriately, and select
the "modem" port for your ImageWriter to print to.  This will work ok for the
most part.  One caveat--if you're running under the MacOS environment and
print something to the ImageWriter, startmac32 apparently locks that device
somehow so that any attempt to access it from the Unix side (via lpr, etc.)
fails until you logout of the MacOS environment.

>(unrelated question:  Is there a native TeX/LaTeX, Emacs, and C++
>available for the Mac?  Gnu/FreeSoft has the latter ones but I
>am not sure how much work would be required to port if this hasn't
>already been done.  Thanks,  -- K).

The TeX/web2c port from labrea.stanford.edu compiles and runs just fine under
A/UX, at least under gcc (I haven't tried it under cc); the mods required to
the config file were minimal.  I can post my config file if you need it.
As for Emacs, check out the A/UX port on afsg.apple.com done by Ron Flax.
John Coolidge has done a G++ port to A/UX (avail. on wuarchive.wustl.edu),
but it's still rather new and rather flakey....
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!