A/UX 2.0 and Chooser and Appletalk

Kevin W. Rudd rudd at calvin.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 29 10:57:09 AEST 1990

I have been having extreme difficulty running A/UX on my system.

Well, that is not quite true,  as A/UX runs fine as long as I don't
try to use Mac applications which use the printer.  I have an
Imagewriter II hooked up and it prints beautifully with lpr et al.
as long as I am running A/UX stuff.  However, when I try to run Mac
stuff and change the printer to the printer port without appletalk,
I am prompted with dialogs to remove appletalk and ensure cables are
disconnected.  The selection then immediately returns to the modem
port.

Appletalk has been removed from the kernel per the manual instructions
(assuming everything has been done correctly) but this has had no
effect.  As we have a need to run both A/UX and Mac stuff (mainly
Word, Excel, and TeXtures) it would be really nice to not have to
reconfigure as a Mac and run without A/UX.

Any pointers would be appreciated...

Thanks,

  -- Kevin

(unrelated question:  Is there a native TeX/LaTeX, Emacs, and C++
available for the Mac?  Gnu/FreeSoft has the latter ones but I
am not sure how much work would be required to port if this hasn't
already been done.  Thanks,  -- K).