color fuzz on IIfx, 8*24 card with A/UX 2.0

Rick Keir, MACC keir at vms.macc.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 18 08:46:33 AEST 1990

Thanks to those who responded.

The color fuzzy lines at the top of the screen are indeed
readable in 2-bit video mode.

Apparently, A/UX 2.0 does not always know about color screens;
in particular, when we're getting a fatal crash with i/o messages
so that you can't go to the control panel and reset the video
board, *then* it tends to not know about color.

With the board in 256 color mode, a test run that terminated in
a crash would show 2 error messages, and an indeterminate number
of fuzzy line messages.  With the board in 2 color mode, we
got about a dozen error messages, and a fatal crash.

Also, when you press the interrupt switch and enter the
unix mini-debugger, you will also need to be in 2-color mode.

This is true for our (still) crashing IIfx/8*24 board/RGB monitor
system;  your mileage may vary on other models of the Mac.

Now, on to why we get crashes (it looks like it may be an SCSI
problem....)