man

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Oct 12 23:02:33 AEST 1990

In comp.unix.aux, article <3289 at idunno.Princeton.EDU>,
  marcelo at sparcwood.Princeton.EDU (Marcelo A. Gallardo) writes:
<
<      I created a directory "users1" where it is currently being mounted.
< As root, I have no problems accessing it and using it. As anyone else, I
< have a problem with "pwd". It gives me an error saying it can't open.

% cd /
% su
# /etc/umount /users1
# chmod 755 /users1
# /etc/mount /users1

<      On a second note, I've read in the past that people have been able
< to use telecom programs from with in AUX (such as Applelink). I
< unfortunately have had no luck. AUX always seems to say that the port
< that the modem is on is busy. I've checked /etc/inittab and both the
< modem and the printer ports are off. Any help with that would be
< appreciated too.
<
# chmod 666 /dev/tty0

On a related note, be aware that AppleLink wants to use hardware handshaking.
The typical modem cable is wired for DCD/DTR, so AppleLink will hang while
trying to initialize the modem.

To fix, either
- tell the modem to keep DCD turned on (AT &C0 &W should do it),
- use another cable,
- patch AppleLink.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/