MacX or X Window System?

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Tue Feb 12 05:00:51 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb4.230846.1421 at aucs.AcadiaU.ca>, ifocs9d at aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Rick Giles) writes:
|> I'm upgrading A/UX and X Window System 11R3 on a Mac II and am faced with
|> getting MacX or the X Window System 11R4.
|> What are the advantages/disadvantages of one of these servers running under
|> A/UX? Thanks.
|>

|> Rick Giles
|>
|> Bitnet:   FRGILES at Acadia.ca

Sorry for delay: news was broken here for awhile.

You can upgrade your A/UX machine to run A/UX 2.0.1, which is shipping
in about a month or so (it's finished now, but in the pipeline), which
contains MacX 1.1 (a newer version) and then run whatever clients you
already have on your A/UX machine.  (MacX only includes the server,
a font compiler, a built-in optional window manager, and a few other
goodies, but no clients.  It also runs (same binary) on Macintosh OS.)

Or you can buy the X Window System for A/UX (version 2.1 is now shipping)
which contains MacX 1.1 and a complete set of X11R4 clients and a
good optimized X11R4 "native" server.

If you have further questions, please ask.
--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but