MacX or X Window System?

Martin Ewing ewing-martin at cs.yale.edu
Wed Feb 6 15:41:29 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb4.230846.1421 at aucs.AcadiaU.ca> ifocs9d at aucs.AcadiaU.ca (Rick Giles) writes:
>I'm upgrading A/UX and X Window System 11R3 on a Mac II and am faced with
>getting MacX or the X Window System 11R4.
>What are the advantages/disadvantages of one of these servers running under
>A/UX? Thanks.

Two big advantages for MacX:  You get the Mac desktop along with your X client
windows, so you can run regular Mac applications.  It also takes only a modest
amount of disk space, one or two megs, I think.  The disadvantage is that
performance of your X windows is somewhat limited, especially for animation
like 'ico'.

Running the X11 server, you get zero Macintosh compatibility but great
performance.  Of course you get the X client library, too, which you can run
with either the vanilla X11 server or MacX.

Take your pick, but I think MacX is the Better Way for most of us.

Martin Ewing:  Ewing at Yale.edu