A/UX concerns

Steve Green steveg at ni.umd.edu
Fri Feb 22 07:25:09 AEST 1991

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com) writes:
>Excuse me, Steve, but I want to find out if there is something strange
>about your NFS usage.  We here (as you might expect) have several HUNDRED
>A/UX machines, all happily using NFS to mount things from a Cray, several
>VAXen, a Solbourne, several Suns, DECstations, R6000s, Motorola Unix boxes,
>and a host of others (including, of course, lots of A/UX machines).
>I haven't heard anyone complain that NFS is unreliable in A/UX 2.0 or
>2.0.1.  Is it possible there's something unusual about your site or how
>you're using NFS that causes problems?

Not one bit possible.  Could it be that the problem is fixed in-house but
not made available to customers??

>I'm NOT trying to debug your problem, although I will happily attempt it
>if you contact me.  I AM trying to say that A/UX NFS is NOT FLAKEY.

YES IT IS!!!!  A/UX NFS is very flakey.  I cannot reliably compile
ANYTHING on an NFS disk.

>[deleted]

I am totaly insulted by your response.  I have sent countless messeges
to reports at renew with problem descriptions and scripts that demonstrate
the problem.  I have mail from someone on the A/UX development team that
confirms the problem I complained about and said "we are looking into a
fix for this".  As well,

Some time ago, John L. Coolidge  coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu  writes:
>I've got this one... most of the time. When compiling to disks from
>the Encore server, I get bad links (the link finishes cleanly, but
>the resulting image is damaged, often in strange and interesting
>ways). On the other hand, when the remote server is a Sun or an A/UX
>machine, I've never seen this problem.
>
>The problem doesn't happen with small programs: hello world works
>10 out of 10. Big programs (nn, gcc, g++, etc) always fail.

What else do you want to know?

Silica gel -- No not eat.				steveg at ni.umd.edu