Setting up UUCP under A/UX 2.0

Paul Sander paul at athertn.Atherton.COM
Thu Feb 28 13:39:56 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb27.010920.421 at skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>I'm trying to set my A/UX 2.0 system for UUCP with no success.  I've followed
>the directions in the manuals with no luck.  I've also tried a few things that
>I thought wouldn't work, and no luck there, either.  I've been able to set the
>system up to allow incoming calls, but I can't set the system up for outgoing
>calls with cu (or kermit).  I have a 2400 baud modem on tty0 with the correct
>cable.

[stuff omitted]

>I have uncommented the lines in sysinitrc so the following are executed:
>
>/bin/chmod 666 /dev/tty0
>/bin/chown daemon /dev/tty0
>/bin/chgrp daemon /dev/tty0
>
>I've tried:
>
>00:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
>do:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
>
>and I've also tried combining these.  I've also tried the documented setup
>to allow calls in both directions.
>
>cu -ltty0 dir fails to make a connection, but the TR light on the modem does
>come on, and after the attempt is about halfway to failing the TR flashes
>once.
>
>cu site1 gives the error that the device/destination is unknown.

I had a similar problem, and found that Appletalk was running on that
serial port.  Try disabling Appletalk at the end of your /etc/rc file and
see what happens.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | "Passwords are like underwear," she said,
paul at Atherton.COM                  | "Both should be changed often."