Yet another problem compiling perl

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Wed Feb 6 12:59:38 AEST 1991

steveg at ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>I just compiled perl and this is what I had to do.
>	1.  Use the big compiler.  Tell Configure that the compiler flags
>	    are -B/usr/lib/big/
>	2.  Modify config.sh at the point where Configure says you can.
>	    Make "i_dirent='define'" say "i_dirent='undef'".
>	    (This is the rewinddir problem)

Well, after promising everybody I'd dig up what changes I made to perl to
get it to compile, I discovered that the one change I'd made was in the
config.sh during the Configure -- the exact same thing as part 2 above.
So for those of you asking for the "patches" to compile perl under A/UX,
they're up there :-).  I didn't use cc, though; I used gcc with the
"-fpcc-struct-return -D_SYSV_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE" and "-O -g" options.
"-fpcc-struct-return" is almost certainly necessary for dbm files etc. to
work with perl, the _SYSV_SOURCE and _BSD_SOURCE are #defines that are
normally automatically done by cc.  Also, when the Configure script asked
me if I wanted to use Perl's malloc instead of the system malloc, I said
no out of paranoia.  It may well work with the Perl-supplied malloc, but
I haven't tried it myself.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Try looking in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychotics'." -- Michael Santana