A/UX concerns

Kevin Hegg kevinh at cmi.com
Sat Feb 16 00:25:39 AEST 1991

Mark Bartelt writes
   My real concern is more general than just a complaint about A/UX's cc.
   I get the feeling that Apple doesn't really have much of a commitment
   to UNIX.  Ten or so years ago, DEC had a small (tiny!), but talented....

I am also concerned about Apple's commitment to Unix. They are very much
behind the rest of the Unix community. The feeling I get from Apple these
days is "Don't worry, we know whats best for you". That attitude is fine
when you can keep pace with the rest of the community. However, over the
last couple of years Apple seems less and less capable of doing this.

Another concern I have is Apple's suppresion of information on Mach for
the Mac. Here's what I have heard. CMU ported Mach to all Mac II's except
the ci and fx. Apple took it from there and is possibly negotiating with
mt. xinu for distribution rights. OK Apple, what are you going to do? Are
we going to see a commercial product with Mach? If not, how about relaxing
your stranglehold on Mach.

I started using the Mac about 6 years ago because you could feel that it
was going to have a strong impact on the computer world. It was fun to be
involved with something that was towards the leading edge. I think a lot
of people gravitated towards the Mac for this reason. I think a lot of
people will gravitate away from the Mac if this ceases to be true. Solving
problems that the rest of the Unix community has already solved doesn't
top my list of fun things to do. I don't mean to make this an Apple
bashing session. There are a lot of things that I like about Macs. I still
use the Mac as my primary computer, but I find myself using other ones
more and more.

Kevin Hegg, EDS Corp - Center for Machine Intelligence
2001 Commonwealth Blvd., Ann Arbor, Michigan 48105
Phone: (313) 995-0900  Internet: kevinh at cmi.com    Applelink: D5990