A/UX concerns

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Fri Feb 22 22:27:11 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <250 at raysnec.UUCP>,
  shwake at raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) writes:
<
< 	The A/UX operating environment is far more comprehensive than
< simply providing a kernel and utilities. Its ability to support both
< UNIX and Mac applications simultaneously without resort to emulation is
< certainly remarkable. Unless the alleged Mach ports can offer something
< comparable there's little reason to choose it over A/UX.
<
It offers something better -- one process (thread, whatever) per Mac program,
not all Mac applications running under MultiFinder and blocking each other.
"Real Multitasking", and all that.
Calling WaitNextEvent between sending/receiving every message is just too
slow for some classes of distributed applications.

Remember that Mach is a new OS which has lots of very interesting features.
You probably won't ever find these features on SysV- or BSD-based Unixes.
Read comp.os.mach for details.

< 	As to the "suppression of information" and "stranglehold on Mach"
< I can only suggest you try to control your paranoia. Unless you can provide
< evidence to the contrary, consider that superior technology usually wins
< out in the end.
<
So please would someone tell what happened, what the current status is,
and what's been done about it?
Without that information, I'll stick to the paranoia theory. :-)

Actually, what I'd like to do is take the Mach 3.0 kernel that's freely
available, combine it with the Mach 2.5 Unix server and the [object or,
preferably, source] code to make it run on the Mac, and hack away.
This seems to be possible with some other Mach versions, so I honestly don't
see what the problem is. Someone "in the know" please enlighten me...

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/