NFS problems (was Re: A/UX concerns)

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Thu Feb 28 05:40:27 AEST 1991

In article <6604 at spdcc.SPDCC.COM>, dyer at spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) writes:
|> >BUT, I don't want people who are considering using or buying A/UX to get
|> >the idea that EVERYONE has trouble with NFS on A/UX: it just ain't so.
|>
|> That's because not everyone operates in the same environment.  Just
|> because you haven't seen the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Steve, I seem to have failed miserably in getting one of the most
important things across: I DON'T believe that (point of view [a]) "just
because I haven't seen something it doesn't exist".  I believe that
(point of view [b]) "just because you have seen something it may only
exist for you in your circumstances".

The problem under discussion MAY WELL be (and looks like probably is) a
legitimate bug in A/UX.  But it might not be as well.  I wanted to make
sure people understood the difference between point of view [a] and
point of view [b].  I more or less ASSUMED it was a bug in A/UX from
the start, since so many people seem to have been bit by it...

I really am NOT a pigheaded ass who believes Apple can do no wrong! On
the contrary: I, as a representative of Apple have done MUCH wrong,
personally -- it's these past sins and other obviously stupid or wrong
things that Apple has done that drive me to try to right what few
wrongs I can.

|> [very plausible explanation for problem deleted]
|> We saw this at Athena early in our use of A/UX and reported it (along
|> with our sample fixes) many months ago.

It takes many months to make a new A/UX release.  Perhaps the fix was
applied and made it into A/UX 2.0.1.  I'm looking into this.

--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)  | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                 | pretty worthless, but