Can't find stty(...), gtty(...) and setbuffer(...) functions

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Fri Feb 1 17:12:03 AEST 1991

davidp at calvin.usc.edu (David Peterson) writes:

>Hello all, maybe you can help me out.

>I'm trying to compile micro emacs 3.10 because I don't have the drive
>space for gnu emacs. Well I got the tar file from durer.cme.nist.gov
>and after tracking down some #include files and adding some #define's
>I got the source to compile, but it won't link because it can't find
>stty(), gtty() and setbuffer().

Well, that's not too surprising, since stty() and gtty() are functions
dealing with the BSD-style terminal interface and while SunOS is a BSD-
derived UNIX, A/UX isn't; it's based on System V, and System V does
terminal handling completely differently from BSD.  (I don't recall
what setbuffer() is, but it's probably another BSD-ism).

>On a sun, stty() and gtty() are obtained from including <sgtty.h> and
>setbuffer() from including <stdio.h>. Such is not the case under A/UX.

>Anyone have any pointers on how to get this to link?

  Well, for starters, find the bit in the config file (estruct.h, I think)
where you told MicroEmacs that it was on a BSD system and change it to
USG (i.e. System V).  That'll get you closer.

  Some time back, a friend of mine ported MicroEmacs 3.10 to my A/UX machine.
As I recall, after doing the preliminary changes (finding include files,
spec'ing USG, etc.) things mostly worked OK, but there were a few problems,
mostly related to handling of ^Z and job control (not surprising, since
"standard" System V systems don't *have* job control).  I can probably dig
up either the modified source or a running executable if you need either.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Try looking in the Yellow Pages under 'Psychotics'." -- Michael Santana