Perl won't compile on AUX

Jim Jagielski jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Feb 5 01:47:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Feb4.095938.12722 at nuchat.sccsi.com> kevin at nuchat.sccsi.com (Kevin Brown) writes:
}In article <2375 at taurus.BITNET> <shani%math.tau.ac.il at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
}>Has anyone tried to compile perl on AUX yet? I get the following error:
}>
}>"eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow
}>
}>Help ?!?!
}
}I ran into exactly the same problem.
}
}The people who ported the C compiler forgot to implement dynamic allocation
}of the switch table.  Methinks they were concentrating too hard on
}the "important" part of the OS: the MacUserInterface...:-(
}
}On the A/UX that I'm working under, there are two versions of the compiler
}(small and large :-).  The default is the "small" one, i.e., the one with
}the tiny switch symbol table.
}

One call increase the table size using the -A option in cc... for example,
-A 2 increases the table sizes by a factor of 2. This is MUCH better than using
the "big" versions...

This option is NOT available pre-2.0... on those you'll have to use the bigguns

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagubox.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Exploding is a perfectly normal medical phenomenon. In many fields of
 medicine nowadays, a dose of dynamite can do a world of good."