infocmp

Dominic Dunlop domo at tsa.co.uk
Tue Feb 5 03:53:47 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jan31.173912.21579 at nada.kth.se>
d88-jwa at dront.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) writes:

> Re infocmp:
>
> It seems that A/UX 2.0 misses this essential tool for decompiling
> terminfo databases. Nor does "untic" exist.

This is a result of A/UX 2.0 still being based on a very old (highly
stable, in marketing terms) AT&T release of UNIX: System V, release 2.
Release 3.0 brought infocmp and untic as complements to tic, along with
other Good Stuff, such as Honey Danber UUCP.  While A/UX has about the
lowest rough edge count of any 5.2 implementation I've met, a) by now
it's mot unreasonable to expect that the rough edges have been rubbed
off AT&T's five-year old source code; and b) I want my 5.3 (at least).

> [I] wonder where I can get the tool meanwhile.

Way back in volume 5 of comp.std.unix (early 1986), there is an untic.
You should be able to get the source off some archive somewhere.  I did
so in a previous life, and although the source didn't follow me into
this one, I recall that it worked as billed.

> (I don't look forward to transferring the compiled entry to another
> machine and try to get anything reasonable out of it...)

Well, it should work.  To quote term(4)

	  The [compiled terminfo] format has been chosen so that it
	  will be the same on all hardware.  An 8 or more bit byte is
	  assumed, but no assumptions about byte ordering or sign
	  extension are made.

You also need to look at this man page if you want to write untic
yourself...
--
Dominic Dunlop