X window on A/UX hangs up.

Ephrem Chemaly ephrem at oakhill.sps.mot.com
Sat Feb 2 10:15:04 AEST 1991

I am running X11R4 from Apple, with Motif 1.0 from Integrated Computer
Solutions, with A/UX 2.0.  The hardware platforms are MacII, MacIIx, and
MacIIfx, with the Apple EtherTalk NB card.

I wrote a few applications using Motif as a widget set.  The applications
start up OK then the system hangs up, for a couple of minutes, I lose all
input capabilities, (keyboard, mouse, ethernet - I can not ping, etc.) and
output (the windows do not get updated ,etc), everything freezes up.  When it
returns, xload shows a very high CPU usage.  (Three horizontal lines).  A
few minutes later the cycle is repeated.

It seems to me that the system hangs up when the mouse crosses a widget
boundary, (I guess that is when an event is generated, since none of my
widgets need mouse motion events).  But this could be a figment of my
imagination.  I can not work on those machines because they keep hanging
up every few minutes, and I can not do anything when they hang up, to
find the problem.

Has anybody seen this problem.

Note that the same source code is compiled on a Sun 3/260 with X and Motif
from OSF, and runs without any problems.

Please use the address below to reply by e-mail.

Regards,
Ephrem A. Chemaly

| Motorola Inc.                            Ephrem A. Chemaly              |
|                                          6501 William Cannon Drive West |
|                                          Austin, Texas 78735 U.S.A.     |
|                                          Mail Drop: OE-21               |
|                                          (512) 891-2760                 |
| Internal Addr: ephrem at soleil-tx (or at) oakhill!soleil-tx!ephrem        |
| Internet Addr: ...!soleil-tx.sps.mot.com!ephrem                         |
| UUCP Address:  oakhill!soleil-tx!ephrem at cs.utexas.edu                   |