Setting up NFS clients ???

Michael G. Lohmeyer mikel at berlioz.nsc.com
Sun Feb 17 14:31:57 AEST 1991

In article <16539.27b970c8 at ul.ie> bourkej at ul.ie writes:
>Has anyone any words of wisdom on setting up AUX 2.0 as a NFS client ?  Is
>is straight forward or are there some hidden traps.  We have a few UNIXs
>running ok with NFS but AUX doesn't seem to be as easy as the others.
>
>John Bourke								 O-O

     The procedure is fairly simple to set up NFS on A/UX 2.0.  First,
you must use newconfig to add the NFS stuff to the kernal:

	newconfig nfs

(presuming that you have set up the TCP/IP stuff already).  Then you also
need to edit a couple files.  They are the /etc/exports file and the
/etc/fstab (on the machine that wishes to mount the A/UX machine's disk).
/etc/exports might look like this:

	/usr/local
	/users
	/		frodo

which would only allow any machine on the network to mount /usr/local and
/users, but only frodo can mount /.  The /etc/fstab file on the other
machines might look like this (add lines like this to /etc/fstab):

bilbo:/usr/local             /nfs/usr/local       nfs rw,soft,bg,timeo=14 0 0
bilbo:/users                 /nfs/users           nfs rw,soft,bg,timeo=14 0 0

assuming that the machine that you want to become an nfs server is called
bilbo.  This would mount /usr/local and /users on bilbo as /nfs/usr/local
and /nfs/users on the machine that has this fstab file.  Reboot all the
machines and things will start up.

     This is just a quick example.  To get the full story, use the man
command on the A/UX machine to read about fstab, exports and mount.

     If there are any problems getting NFS to work, it is most likely related
to having not set up exports correctly, or having forgotten to link nfs
into the kernal with newconfig.

     By the way.  I had trouble getting NFS to work when I set up the
exports file to allow only specific machines to nfs mount certain points
like:

	/		frodo

The problem when away when I removed the machine name (frodo in this case)
form the exports file and allowed everyone to mount the volume.  This
may be another source of problems with NFS.  I haven't had time to go back
and figure out why this did not work.

Mike
Mike Lohmeyer				mikel at berlioz.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation