Application compatibility

Thomas L. Zimmerman zimmer at cod.NOSC.MIL
Fri Feb 22 08:13:51 AEST 1991

Before I spend any more time trying to fix things (rebooting crashed A/UX
and manually fsck'ing my external drives gets annoying after awhile)...thought
I'd check to see if anyone else is having these problems.

I just upgraded SoftPC - installing both the A/UX patches and the EGA upgrade.
The application comes up fine and seems to work, but after some random, but
short, period of time everything on the Mac locks up except the mouse tracking.
In other words, the cursor in the dos window stops blinking, menu won't pull
down, typing has no effect and windows won't close.

The other favorite application that is giving me trouble in Adobe Illustrator
3.0. When I try to launch it the title bar comes up and the watch starts
spinning, but the menu never appears and control is never returned to the
user. The hands on the watch just keep spinning for hours.

Has anyone gotten either of these applications to run under A/UX 2.0?
Were there any tricks?

Finally, since we now know that A/UX doen't support the SCSI Manager, redering
any MacOS type scanning software useless - has anyone found a UNIX application
package that works with the scanner?

Love my A/UX. I just wish I didn't feel like I was sacrificing many of my
favorite applications and peripherals to use it.

Lee

--
Lee Zimmerman, Naval Ocean Systems Center, Code 421, San Diego, CA, 92152
{arpa,mil}net: zimmer at nosc.mil
uucp: {ihnp4,akgua,decvax,dcdwest,ucbvax}!sdcsvax!nosc!zimmer