Further Problems with Daystar Fast Cache IIci

J.Pearce at cs.ucl.ac.uk J.Pearce at cs.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Feb 21 01:46:16 AEST 1991

Further to my previous message to comp.unix.aux I have continued to
investigate my problem with my Daystar Fast Cache IIci.

I left the Daystar demo program running under A/UX all night with no
apparent problems - so I find it difficult to believe there is a hardware
fault on the board.

I have removed the 8-bit Apple Graphics Card and the additional 4M SIMMs so
I have a totally standard Mac IIci, but with no luck. However, I have been
able to localise the problem.  I logged in using console mode and conducting
extensive tests launching Mac environments. The mac24 shell never gave any
problems, but the mac32 shell seems to suffer from very erratic problems.
Between 5-15% of the launches result in the appearance of an empty
debugger/dialog box, with its border being continuously redrawn. You can
escape via apple-control-e, or wait a couple of minutes and it returns to
the console environment leaving a core dump. Just before the box disappears
it turns green or purple.

Has anyone any idea what is happening ?

John Pearce

jpearce at uk.ac.ucl.cs