New UUCP for A/UX?

Alexis Rosen alexis at panix.uucp
Tue Feb 5 19:35:27 AEST 1991

austin at spies.sf-bay.org (Glenn Austin) writes:
>I have attempted to use the UUCP which came with A/UX 2.0, and it works fine
>when logged in as UUCP, but fails (miserably!) when running in the background
>because UUCICO doesn't correctly handle the options for files transferred.
>It creates all files as mode 600, and then when UUX attempts to read them
>(ie. to send mail), it can't access them, and you get returned error messages
>and nothing gets sent to the recipient!  This is a BUG that basically makes
>A/UX USELESS for UUCP, since you can't set up cron to call, and a feed can't
>call you!

Reasonable complaint. Bad diagnosis.

Richard Todd then responds that you've broken something. He's forgotten how
he fixed UUCP, though.

There are two critical problems with UUCP in A/UX 2.0. The first is the much-
mentioned (by me) problem with UUXQT. It dies after 10 jobs or so. You can use
the uuxqt.wrap script I posted a few months ago to fix it, or you can use the
uuxqt in version 2.0.1, which fixes the problem for good.

The other, far nastier (and harder to trace) bug comes from uucico's use of
the TZ environment variable. If it doesn't see TZ, it calls a system routine
which sets TZ for it. Problem is, that routine is broken. Without TZ, uucico
ungracefully dies without useful messages.

To fix this, just make sure that both uudemon.hr and uushell (and any polling
script you may write) have the following line before they invoke uucico:
TZ=`/bin/cat /etc/TIMEZONE` ; export TZ

That's it!

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis