PBMPlus to MacPaint Problem

Alan Mimms abm at alan.aux.apple.com
Thu Feb 28 07:10:49 AEST 1991

In article <BARNETT.91Feb27131312 at grymoire.crd.ge.com>, barnett at grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
|> I am looking for a way to go from the PBMPlus Raster Image format into
|> MacPaint. I used mactomacp, and checked it wuth xloadimage. Sure
|> enough - a MacPaint formated file.
|>
|> Now how to I get it onto a Macintosh?
|>
|> The MacBinary header is wrong. Sure enough, the sources of pbmtomacp
|> show the code trying to put the name of the file in the header, but
|> after setting the variable, it never uses it. So the header never has
|> the name of the file, let alone the creator, type, etc.
|>
|> I even tried to Run MacX and capture the image, but it's too big.

Actually, it won't be too big if you give MacX a LOT of memory.  Do
you want to put it into MacPaint eventually?  If so, make sure you
give MacPaint a lot of memory too. (Use Get Info in Finder to set the
memory size to add a few megabytes for luck.)

|> (I guess that tells me a MacPaint format isn't going to work.)

Not necessarily.  It ought to.  Good luck.  Oh, one more thing.
If it is truly a monochrome raster image you're grabbing, set your
screen in 1 bit per pixel mode using the Monitors Control Panel thingie.
That saves a lot of space and might make it work faster and better.

--

Alan Mimms (alan at apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but