Perl won't compile on AUX

Kevin Brown kevin at nuchat.sccsi.com
Mon Feb 4 20:59:38 AEST 1991

In article <2375 at taurus.BITNET> <shani%math.tau.ac.il at CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> writes:
>Has anyone tried to compile perl on AUX yet? I get the following error:
>
>"eval.c", line 2374: compiler error: switch table overflow
>
>Help ?!?!

I ran into exactly the same problem.

The people who ported the C compiler forgot to implement dynamic allocation
of the switch table.  Methinks they were concentrating too hard on
the "important" part of the OS: the MacUserInterface...:-(

On the A/UX that I'm working under, there are two versions of the compiler
(small and large :-).  The default is the "small" one, i.e., the one with
the tiny switch symbol table.

To access the other one, I believe your command line should read:

	cc -B /usr/lib/big/ ...

So add the -B spec above to the CFLAGS variable in your Makefile and you'll
be okay (no need to go through the entire Configure process, since it will
cause everything to be rebuilt when all you want is the stuff that hasn't
been built yet.  It takes a LOOONG time to rebuild, unless you're running
on one of the new (fast) Macs, in which case I'm jealous :-).

I *think* /usr/lib/big/ is the right argument to -B, but I'm not absolutely
sure.  Check the "cc" man page to be sure (and check to make sure the
directory they specify actually exists :-).  Notice the trailing '/', too.
That's NECESSARY.

To my knowledge, we're running A/UX version 2.0.  Beats me if the above
works on pre-2.0 systems...

--
			Kevin Brown
		Addresses in preferred order: