Symbolic Link Kills the MacOS/Finder

Tim Endres time at tbomb.ice.com
Mon Jan 7 00:41:44 AEST 1991

I have noticed something very interesting lately. Whenever I attempt
to drag a number of files from a folder on one partition to a folder
on another partition, and the desitination folder happens to be a
symbolic link, there is an enormous delay before the writing of groups
of files.

In fact, the Finder's file copy dialog states that it is writing "/",
then it starts rattling off the file names that it writes. And the
"Writing /" operation can take upwards of 30 seconds!!!

What is going on here? Did I miss some documentation regarding this?

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time at ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uupsi!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288