A/UX 2.0 and old EtherPortII card??

J S de Vries jsvp1 at tnofel.fel.tno.nl
Tue Jan 8 00:48:06 AEST 1991

I want to use A/UX 2.0 with my old Kinetics EtherPort II card, but, sofar, I
have not been able to get it up and running on a MacII at work or my MacIIx at
home. Because I only WAS a casual UNIX user and now, suddenly, an A/UX System
Administrator, I need experienced help!!

I have tried to use the old A/UX 1.0 (Rev A) Kinetics EtherPort II driver
software to configure the A/UX kernel for BNet or NFS. However, during
linking the kernel one undefined symbol is found ('mcIget') in the binary
file /etc/boot.d/if_ep, which is one of the driver S/W files, supplied by
Kinetics. This kills the linking process.
The following is an excerpt from the listing:

# autoconfig -u -I -o unix
Warning cannot find driver(s) for device ID 5 Version 0.0
undefined               first referenced
 symbol                     in file
mclget                          /etc/boot.d/if_ep
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to /tmp/kernBAAa00161
Autoconfig error: Kernel link failed
mv unix /unix
mv: cannot access unix

I have tried to get an update for the A/UX driver S/W. But, as it
turns out, Kinetics (Dayna Systems (?), nowadays..) is no longer supporting
the old (long) cards. These are replaced by shorter NUBUS cards with improved
ROM firmware, which are autoconfigured into the kernel, if one so wishes.

I have been hearing rumors of people using the old Kinetics EtherPort II card
and driver with A/UX 2.0. So, I hope to find information on the installation
of the old Kinetics A/UX 1.0 driver here on this forum, before buying a new
Ethernet card.

My hardware consists of the following:
5 megs of memory and the old 8 bit Apple display card in both Macs. The MacII
has a 320 MB Micronet harddisk and the IIx an 80MB Quantum.

--- Jan

P.S.
If I do the MacOS installation of the EtherPort II card using the Installer
on the MacPartition, A/UX 2.0 hangs during startup and produces the message
after switching screens during loading 'panic: no slot 11 interrupt handler'.
Does this actually mean, that the two installations are mutually exclusive?
I.e., if the EtherPort card is installed in MacOS, I cannot use A/UX 2.0,
and, when installed in A/UX, I cannot use it in MacOS?

Jan S. de Vries                          Internet:   jsvp1 at fel.tno.nl
Physics and Electronics Laboratory TNO      Phone:   ++31-70-3264221 ext209
P.O.Box 96864                                 Fax:   ++31-70-3280961
NL-2509 JG THE HAGUE