A/UX 2.0 and old EtherPortII card??

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Jan 9 00:12:38 AEST 1991

In <47816 at apple.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:

>In article <1991Jan7.134806.10592 at tnofel.fel.tno.nl> jsvp1 at tnofel.fel.tno.nl
(J S de Vries) writes:
>>I want to use A/UX 2.0 with my old Kinetics EtherPort II card
>>I have tried to use the old A/UX 1.0 (Rev A) Kinetics EtherPort II driver
>>software to configure the A/UX kernel for BNet or NFS. However, during
>>linking the kernel one undefined symbol is found ('mcIget') in the binary
>>file /etc/boot.d/if_ep, which is one of the driver S/W files, supplied by
>>Kinetics. This kills the linking process.

Isn't Monaco a stupid font! The actual problem is "mclget" as you can see if
Courier is used.

>Device drivers written under A/UX 1.1 won't work with A/UX 2.0, because a
couple
>of kernel structures are different. I.e. the company/persons behind the
>driver should simply recompile the driver(s) under A/UX 2.0 with the new
>A/UX 2.0 device driver kit files.

The A/UX 1.1 version of the driver works with A/UX 2.0 but doesn't support
AppleTalk - it's fine for NFS, TCP/IP and so on. I'd be happy to send a copy
of the 1.1 driver binary to apple.com for people to fetch as needed, but only
if the present owners of the rights to that code give their consent: you could
try asking them for the 1.1 drivers anyway.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)