Tenon Unix for the Mac: Can this be real?

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.sub.org
Thu Jan 3 19:47:28 AEST 1991

In comp.unix.aux, article <1991Jan2.194204.28000 at spectra.com>,
  scott at spectra.com (Tim Scott) writes:
< It sounds too good to be true: BSD 4.3 Reno on top of Mach,
< NFS, TCP/IP, all running on the entire Macintosh line, not
< just Mac IIs or 68000+68881. Full Macintosh application
< compatibility, priced at $495 (special intro.  offer)
<
< Is this some marketing person's idea of a joke?  Has anyone
< seen it run?  I await anyone's reponses, breath bated.
<
So, now for the questions..:
- Is that a "pure" BSD Reno, or did they use the Mach x.y stuff?
  If so, which values for x and y (2.5, 2.6, 3.0)?
- File systems available for Unix applications? (MacOS, A/UX-compatible BSD
  and SysV partitions)
- Access to Communications Toolbox? (Fake ttys, whatever)
- Does it run on regular background time, or via a scheduler?
  (Time Manager?) I.e. do Unix tasks continue to run when you
  run Hypercard bseides it, under MultiFinder, and you press the mouse button
  in the menu bar or a window title bar?
- What will they do about System 7.0?
- Voice and Fax phone numbers? (Please keep in mind that 800 numbers aren't
  reachable from outside the US.) Address?

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs at smurf.sub.org -- urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/