Announcing gcc 1.39 and gas 1.38 for A/UX

John Coolidge coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Jan 30 11:21:09 AEST 1991

gcc 1.39 and gas 1.38 for A/UX are now available from
wuarchive.wustl.edu. This version of gcc is considered by the FSF
to be finally out of beta-test and into 'release' status. This
version fixes a few bugs in gcc 1.38, most especially fixing a bug
which broke the -traditional flag. gas 1.38 also seems to be even
more stable than gas 1.37; looking through the change log, it
appears that a number of bugs have been fixed.

Note that any of you who have picked up gcc-1.37.9x pre-test
versions of gcc are expected to delete them and upgrade to gcc 1.39
as soon as possible.

in the systems/aux directory (/archive/systems/aux for those NFS mounting
wuarchive):
gcc-1.39.bin.tar.Z		Binaries for gcc-1.39 and gas-1.38 on A/UX 2.0
gcc-1.39.aux.diffs.Z		Patches for gcc-1.39 supporting A/UX.
					These should not break support
					for any other machine.
gcc-1.39.aux.tar.Z		Sources for gcc-1.39 with the above
					diffs already applied.
gas-1.38.aux.diffs.Z		Patches for gas-1.38 supporting A/UX.
					These should not break support
					for any other machine.
gas-1.38.aux.tar.Z		Sources for gas-1.38 with the above
					diffs already applied.

New Features:

By popular demand, it is now possible to install gcc in either
/usr/local/Gnu or /usr/local/{bin,lib}. The installation instructions
have (hopefully) been cleaned up to reflect this. Unlike my release
of gcc 1.38, I think these are actually correct (I've been told that
I goofed and this didn't work right).

--John