Mounting Mac O/S disks for back-up

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 02:19:54 AEST 1991

In <15122 at milton.u.washington.edu> grahams at milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen
Graham) writes:

>Sorry if this is in the manual set, but I haven't found it yet.
It isn't.

>We have a Mac with one A/UX disk and one Mac O/S disk connected
>(these are two separate disks, not partitions)
>to a network of Suns. What we'd like to do is mount the Mac disk
>on the network so we can dump its contents to our Exabyte tape drives
>rather than continue to borrow someone's Apple Tape Drive. Is there
>a way to do this?

No, but you can consider the following options:

1) Use the MacDump (?) program which is floating around in the MacOS world and
which talks to a UNIX host using standard rmt protocols to dump a Mac
filesystem. A version of this which works through MacTCP would probably work
under A/UX 2.0 and should do proper incremental dumping. Can't say as I've
ever tried it though.

2) Use dd under A/UX to save the complete disk image onto the Exabyte. This
has the advantage of being much faster than any file-level dumping, but of
course you have to pull back the whole thing: you can't get back individual
files. The device names to look at are (for SCSI id X)

    /dev/dsk/cXd0s31 - the complete disk image including MacOS drivers
    /dev/dsk/cXd0s30 - the HFS volume only

The dp program will tell you about the partition sizes, and the block device
drivers won't let you run off the end anyway.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)