less vs man under a/ux

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 21:27:47 AEST 1991

In <1991Jan9.083632.11854 at panix.uucp> wfp at panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) writes:

>I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux, and
>it seems to work just fine with one exception:  when designated as PAGER,
>and called from man, less displays escape sequences as "^[<whatever>",
>so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and no highlighting,
>underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on several systems and
>have never seen this bizarre behavior before.

Edit the /usr/bin/man script so that it does

    mypager="$PAGER"

rather than

    mypager="ul | $PAGER"

and the escape sequence junk will go away. I'd also recommend using different
LESS options under A/UX commandshell windows: in particular if you use
scrolling rather than "clear screen" or "overwrite" then you will be able to
scroll backwards through the manual page using the CommandShell scrollbars,
rather than having to use less to do it.

We are using less version 48, and define LESS=mqewh20. Personally I don't like
the attempt to do bold headings and so I don't have PAGER defined, but it does
work properly as described above.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)