profiling with cc/gcc ...

brownrigg at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu brownrigg at kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
Fri Jan 4 14:33:28 AEST 1991

(pardon me if I'm wasting bandwidth on old hat topics - I vaguely recall
seeing something along these lines months back)

Is there something I should know about the native C compiler's profiling?
It seems if I use "-p" to compile a medium sized program that uses lots of
memory I get flakey behavior, usually resulting in an abort of the program.
One time, the whole system came down hard with a double panic, spewing its
dying messages all over the desktop.

On a related note, I've tried using the "-p" switch with "gcc", but at link
time, it complains about a missing library (lib_p.a" I think).  I have no
idea where to proceed from here on this one....help anybody?!

Rick Brownrigg
Kansas Geological Survey