Slice 3, Unreserved 1 disk partition

Vicki Brown vlb at magic.apple.com
Sat Jan 5 06:18:19 AEST 1991

In article <1990Dec25.160306.12569 at bronze.ucs.indiana.edu> gilbertd at silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Don Gilbert) writes:

>I recently went through this hassle also, trying to find and mount
>the extra 240 MB partition on a wrenrunner disk.  I'd used
>SilverLining to partition it with the default A/UX configuration,
>which made a large extra partition called "Unreserved 1".  After
>two failed attempts in which I installed A/UX from CD then wiped
>it out the entirely, I found a way.  Here is a commented log file
>of the 3rd, successful try.  '***' are comments.

Don's information on using dp is accurate, however, some people might
find it easier to just recreate the device nodes for slice 3 (as has been
posted here ad nauseum, the absence of these nodes is due to a bug in the
installation program for 2.0 for which I and Apple apologize again)

  % ls -l /dev/rdsk/c0d0s?
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  0 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s0
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  1 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s1
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  2 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s2
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  4 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s4
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  5 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s5
crw-------   1 bin      bin       24,  6 Oct 27 03:31 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s6
crw-------   1 root     sys       24,  7 Nov 21 14:33 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s7

Note that all disks have two numbers: the major number (24 here) is
	24 + SCSI ID
so SCSI 1 has major number 25, etc, up through SCSI ID 6 (major number 30)
The minor number is the slice number.  Minor number 3 (slice 3) is missing.

Use the mknod command to create the file; the syntax is
	mknod  filename  type  major  minor
The tupe is b for /dev/dsk files, c for /dev/rdsk files:
	% su root
        Password:
        # mknod  /dev/dsk/c0d0s3   b 24  3
        # mknod  /dev/rdsk/c0d0s3  c 24  3

(Use the apprpriate SCSI ID in the name, and appropriate major number)

Now, when you use newfs
	newfs /dev/dsk/c0d0s3 Generic
the partition will be hooked up/found.
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb at apple.com			MS 50UX, 10300 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
        (Have you ever met a normal person?  So..., did you like it?)