rlogin problems

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Thu May 9 09:17:01 AEST 1991

In article <9105082131.AA07283 at ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>,
gritton at ALTAR.EE.BYU.EDU (Jamie Gritton) writes:

|>    I have an A/UX (2.0.1) box that I'm having trouble rlogin'ing out of. My
|> department also has HP 9000-300s and 9000-800s running HP-UX 7.0.
When I try to
|> rlogin out the MacII, I get a message such as "altar.ee.byu.edu: Error 0".
|> Not exactly the most informative error. This happens when I try to log in to
|> a 9000-300. When I try a 9000-800 or a uVax we have running BSD 4.2,
I can log
|> in, but the rhosts stuff doesn't work, i.e. I have to type in my password,
|> even though I have the macII in my .rhosts file.

In your .rhosts file you need either the full name of the machine or you
don't. So I put in both eg
kahu.marcam.dsir.govt.nz tony
kahu tony

As for the error 0, that's better than an error non zero. 0 is no error. It
probably comes from the HP machine. Rlogin works fine under A/UX ever since
A/UX 1.0 and I have used it for lots of machines such as SunOS, BSD, Ultrix,
MIPS, ... So I'd suspect the HP machines before I'd suspect A/UX. Why don't
you pick some machines on the internet and try rlogining to them. Naturally
you won't get in but you can see the results of the connections. Make sure
that your Mac is properly registered with the nameserver that the HP's use
(if you can rlogin to the Mac from them then this is probably OK).

I have a feeling that none of these suggestions will work. I don't know why
you get the error 0.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz