rlogin problems

Jamie Gritton gritton at ALTAR.EE.BYU.EDU
Thu May 9 07:31:07 AEST 1991

   I have an A/UX (2.0.1) box that I'm having trouble rlogin'ing out of. My
department also has HP 9000-300s and 9000-800s running HP-UX 7.0. When I try to
rlogin out the MacII, I get a message such as "altar.ee.byu.edu: Error 0".
Not exactly the most informative error. This happens when I try to log in to
a 9000-300. When I try a 9000-800 or a uVax we have running BSD 4.2, I can log
in, but the rhosts stuff doesn't work, i.e. I have to type in my password,
even though I have the macII in my .rhosts file.
   I've checked my ifconfig (which is correct), and all the host tables (which
are all correct.) Telnet and ftp work without a hitch, and I can rlogin INTO
the MacII from any other machine.
   Does A/UX have a messed up rlogin protocol, or is there some configuration
bit I still don't have? Or (and this isn't likely), is A/UX just exposing some
bug in HP-UX and BSD? Does anyone have any answers, or at least the same
problem?

James Gritton, lowly undergrad of BYU