A/UX SCSI driver?

Eric Dittman dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com
Tue May 14 16:39:45 AEST 1991

In article <24765 at well.sf.ca.us>, nagle at well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:

>      I'm starting to install A/UX, and I've been informed by American
> Peripheral Systems (the disk drive maker) that the disk formatter/
> partitioner shipped with their drives is NOT compatible with A/UX.
> Nor is Apple's partitioner.  They suggest La Cie's Silver Lining.

Funny, just last month they were recommending that a hacked-up version
of Apple's HD SC Installer be used.  I said, "Yeah, right."  LaCie's
SilverLining.

>      The installation procedure for A/UX is certainly impressive.
> I haven't seen anything this complex since I installed a UNIVAC mainframe.
> It makes VMS and SUN/OS installations look trivial.

I've installed both A/UX and VMS from CD-ROM quite a few times, and I've also
upgraded both from hard drive backup savesets, and I'd say that they are both
of the same order of time and effort involved.  A/UX installs/upgrades quicker,
but requires more time afterword for configuration.  VMS is a little slower,
but there's not much to do afterword, esp. on an update (I just updated one
of our VAX Systems to VMS V5.4-2 from V5.4 and it only took about 2 minutes
to change a couple of things that the update affected).
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
dittman at skitzo.csc.ti.com
dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.