Installing 2.0.1 from NEC CD-ROM

Tony Cooper tony at tui.marcam.dsir.govt.nz
Fri May 24 14:56:53 AEST 1991

Warning: this is pure guesswork. I know nothing about CDROMs or what the A/UX
stuff looks like on CD. But if you get
no useful advice maybe you could try it. If (and I don't know if it's true)
the CD ROM image contains a filesystem image you can copy that image from
the CD to the A/UX partition on your hard drive. Use SCSI clone or some
scsi copying utility or it might work from the A/UX startup program using
dd and the right arguments or cpio (maybe you would have to use pname first).
You would have to ensure that the partition on the hard drive was the same size
(preferably) or larger than the CD partition if using the dd or cloning
method.

But the best method would be to boot A/UX and do it from there using cpio.
You could do this by booting from a bootable floppy or connecting your
drives to some other A/UX machine etc. You might be able to make a bootable
floppy using A/UX startup and copying files off the CD. Or some person
could make a bootable floppy and send it to you. I don't think it would be
legal to do so, however.

Anyway, I'm sure that it can be done. I just don't know enough about the
CDROM to know if A/UX startup can read from it or what the A/UX files
look like. If A/UX does not support the CDROM then you can still probably
get A/UX onto your hard drive.

Cheers,
Tony
sramtrc at albert.dsir.govt.nz