record locking and portmapper error

Victor Zhuo zhuo at ddtg.com
Wed May 8 09:41:42 AEST 1991

I am recently working on a very simple program and got a strange
error back from the system. The program opens a disk as a raw device
then locks a portion (64 bytes) of it (for read) through system call fcntl().
Somewhere in fcntl(), the system prints out an error message on console
"Portmapper not responding; still trying"
and fcntl() never returns back. This disk has nothing to do with inet.
I don't think I have any other process that is using the disk,
but I am not 100% sure. Could anyone tell me what the problem might be or
where I can get more information?
I am using A/UX but I don't think it makes any difference.

--
              ^ ^			Victor Zhuo
Thank you!     V			DuPont Design Technologies Group
               Z			Email: zhuo%ddtisvr at uunet.uu.net