A/UX 2.0.1 use of 800K drives

Charles Neil chn at lanl.gov
Mon May 6 00:55:19 AEST 1991

In article <1991May5.011113.462 at skbat.csc.ti.com>, dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
 > My Mac IIfx has two floppies.  d0 (the one one the right) is an FDHD drive,
 > and d1 is an 800K drive.  A/UX 2.0 and 2.0.1 both say d1 is a 400K drive and
 > is therefore unusable.  Why is this?
 > --
 > Eric Dittman
 > Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility
 > dittman at skitzo.csc.ti.com
 > dittman at skbat.csc.ti.com

I have the same hardware setup and the same floppy problem. On the Mac
side of A/UX, if I insert a previously-formatted 800K floppy, it works ok.
But if I insert an unformatted floppy I get the single-sided dialog. On
the UNIX side of A/UX, newfs won't work, but I can format and create an
800K file system using diskformat and /etc/fs/ufs/mkfs directly.
--

	-Charlie Neil (chn at lanl.gov)
	 Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978