Cave Men and Dinosaurs

William Roberts; liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Tue May 28 04:48:37 AEST 1991

In <numb.675098076 at el_greco> numb at cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matt Newman) writes:

>I'm getting more and more fed up of trying to bring software from usenet
>up on our A/UX machines.

I think he's complaining about "mush" amongst other things. We don't run our
A/UX machines in anything like a standard configuration, we don't use the
Apple C compilers, we are mostly interested in language systems which do tend
to get a bit machine specific, COFF files are something of a mystery to "Suns
and VAXes" code.... We also have obselete systems to cooperate with, for
example a Sequent Balance which doesn't believe in lockd.

>We have ~172 machines running A/UX 2.0.

Actually it is only about 110, but we'll get the other 40+ eventually. 2.0.1
when we get the CD (which will presumably not happen until after I've ordered
the CD).

>Personally A/UX 1.1.1 was better :-)

It wasn't significantly different for the kinds of things Matt is complaining
about. On a more positive note, ask yourself which manufacturer who has
released an operating system upgrade in the last 6 months has actually cleaned
up their include files for ANSI C?  Not SunOS 4.1.1B. Yes, it's A/UX 2.0.1.

Will we be seeing a similar tirade on comp.sys.sun - they aren't planning to
ship SVR4 anytime soon...

William Roberts                 Internet:  liam at dcs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP:      liam at qmw-dcs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  +44 71-975 5234 (Fax: +44 81-980 6533)