A/UX SCSI driver?

Kent Sandvik ksand at Apple.COM
Tue May 14 17:08:30 AEST 1991

In article <24765 at well.sf.ca.us> nagle at well.sf.ca.us (John Nagle) writes:

>     I'm starting to install A/UX, and I've been informed by American
>Peripheral Systems (the disk drive maker) that the disk formatter/
>partitioner shipped with their drives is NOT compatible with A/UX.
>Nor is Apple's partitioner.  They suggest La Cie's Silver Lining.
>
>     At La Cie, which is really a disk drive maker (they're owned
>by Quantum), I got a response along the lines of "well, that's what
>you get with those bargain-basement drives..."
>
>     The installation procedure for A/UX is certainly impressive.
>I haven't seen anything this complex since I installed a UNIVAC mainframe.
>It makes VMS and SUN/OS installations look trivial.

Well, I installed 1100/2200 systems in an earlier incarnation of ksand,
and La Cie is far earlier than doing partitioning on a Sperry mainframe :-).

I miss the Communication front-end systems, you had to reboot every
time you did a config of a sync line...

Frankly speaking, HD Setup is great for Apple hard disks, La Cie
is OK for a lot of third party hard disks.

Kent

--
Disclaimer: Private and personal activities on USENET, non-company sponsored