Trouble with newfs under 2.0

Antonio Ordonez antonio at Apple.COM
Wed May 1 02:11:12 AEST 1991

In article <13244 at goofy.Apple.COM> ksand at Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik, 120dB or more) writes:
>In article <281BB859.16991 at orion.oac.uci.edu> rprohask at orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>>What induces newfs to announce ".....preposterous size -1" in response to
>>newfs -v /dev/dsk/c6d0s3 MN330 ?
>>/dev/dsk/c6d0s3 was created using mknod per the instructions
>>provided by Vicky Brown of Apple and posted here some months (?)
>>ago.  The command was accepted without error, the disk partition
>>having been created with Silverlining as Random A/UX.  /dev/rdsk/c6d0s3
>>was also created at the same time.  The disk is a Wren Runner,
>>which I've been told is equivalent to (same as) a Micronet 330.  The
>>partition in question is the 244-odd M left over after installation
>>of the aux root filesystem.

You might want to check the partition map using dp. Sometimes SilverLining
doesn't create a BZB (block-zero-block).

Use dp and print the information for the slice in question

#dp /dev/dsk/c6d0s31
"/dev/dsk/c0d0s31" 9 partitions, 9 allocated [678574]
Command? p7
DPM Index: 7
Name: "A/UX Random", Type: "Apple_UNIX_SVR2"
Physical: 109134 @ 128, Logical: 109134 @ 0
        read    write
Slice 3 (clustered)
Regular UNIX File System (1)
Cluster:   0    Type: FS      Inode: 1
Made: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
Mount: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
Umount: [0] Wed Dec 31 16:00:00 1969
No AltBlk map
Command?

If it doesnt look like that then you can use the change command
in dp and add a BZB

Command? c7
DPME Field? b
Cluster # [0]: 0
FS type (1=UNIX,2=EFS,3=SFS) [?]: 1
Root file system? n
Usr file system? n
DPME Field?

For more information on dp please read the man page. Also you can type
a "?" once in dp and it will give you a list of the possible options.

Hope this helps

Antonio

#include <disclaimer.h> 	/*  I'll think of a better one later  */
Antonio Ordonez				 	      amdahl \
Technical Communications/Direct Response Center	  pyramid!sun - apple!antonio
Apple Computer, Inc. (408) 996-1010		      decwrl /