Cave Men and Dinosaurs

Matt Newman numb at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Sat May 25 01:14:36 AEST 1991

Flame On:

I'm getting more and more fed up of trying to bring software from usenet
up on our A/UX machines. So few things compile without considerable massaging
I type `uname -a` and get :-
A/UX pinkruby 2.0 SVR2 mc68030

		  ^^^^
Help! When are Apple going to make a serious comitment to Unix and bring their
OS upto date, alot of vendors are now shipping SVR4 and Apple is very proud
to manage to ship SRV2 :-(.

Users find systems far more "open" if they can take sources and compile and run
them on a number of Unix/Posix/XPRG etc etc (insert favorite Unix std. OSF/1 !)
without to many problems.

So, what do you say Apple, are you serious about Unix or is it a filler until
System 7 is fully underway.

Flame Off:

We have ~172 machines runnignn A/UX 2.0.

Personnally A/UX 1.1.1 was better :-)
--

Matt Newman