Cave Men and Dinosaurs

Jon W{tte d88-jwa at cyklop.nada.kth.se
Sat May 25 19:18:24 AEST 1991

In article <numb.675098076 at el_greco> numb at cs.qmw.ac.uk (Matt Newman) writes:

   I'm getting more and more fed up of trying to bring software from usenet
   up on our A/UX machines. So few things compile without considerable
   massaging

Just adding -D_SYSV_SOURCE -D_BSD_SOURCE to the CFLAGS in the make files
seems to help a lot. I have many packages (gnu c, g++, gnu emacs,
tvtwm, xchomp to name a few) and they weren't hard to compile (GNU much
thanx to the extensive porting job that's already been done, thanx !)

   I type `uname -a` and get :-
   A/UX pinkruby 2.0 SVR2 mc68030

   Help! When are Apple going to make a serious comitment to Unix and
   bring their OS upto date, alot of vendors are now shipping SVR4 and
   Apple is very proud to manage to ship SRV2 :-(.

So what's so good about SYSV.4 ? The kernel panics ?

A/UX offers almost all the BSD stuff (except the tty driver, but we
can do without that) AND full POSIX AND SVR2 which still is a solid
base. Of course I hope to see SVR4 within a year, but methinks the
direction it's heading is towards Mach, maybe even on a new CPU...

   Users find systems far more "open" if they can take sources and
   compile and run them on a number of Unix/Posix/XPRG etc etc (insert
   favorite Unix std. OSF/1 !) without to many problems.

Just define the right things. Use gcc if you need ANSI headers.
It's NOT hard to move stuff to A/UX (hey, nethack is plain USG
and works great with posix job control !)

--
						Jon W{tte
						h+ at nada.kth.se
						- Power !