How much is a cray ??

John D. McCalpin mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Tue Jun 4 04:22:09 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 3 Jun 91 17:16:15 GMT, dre at sequoia.cray.com (Dennis Ellis) said:

Dennis>  The system configurations are (roughly):

Dennis>     XMS      about $300,000
Dennis>     YMP-EL   about $400,000 to $1,000,000
Dennis>     YMP2E    about $2,000,000 to 5,000,000
Dennis>     YMP4E    about $4,000,000 to 10,000,000
Dennis>     YMP8I    about $15,000,000
Dennis>     YMP8E    about $20,000,000

Dennis>   These are ranges (obviously) and approximate prices
Dennis> (depending on the details of the configurations and add-ons)

I have never seen a technical summary of the models XMS or Y/MP-EL.

What are their vital statistics?

If the XMS is really X/MP compatible, then I guess all I need is the
clock speed.  If not, what is the maximum sustainable memory bandwidth
from main memory to vector registers?

Ditto for the YMP/EL.

Thanks!

John D. McCalpin			mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu
Assistant Professor			mccalpin at brahms.udel.edu
College of Marine Studies, U. Del.	J.MCCALPIN/OMNET