How much is a cray ??

Dennis Ellis dre at sequoia.cray.com
Wed Jun 5 03:18:19 AEST 1991

In article <MCCALPIN.91Jun3142209 at pereland.cms.udel.edu> mccalpin at perelandra.cms.udel.edu (John D. McCalpin) writes:

>I have never seen a technical summary of the models XMS or Y/MP-EL.
>
>What are their vital statistics?
>
>If the XMS is really X/MP compatible, then I guess all I need is the
>clock speed.  If not, what is the maximum sustainable memory bandwidth
>from main memory to vector registers?

  The XMS is X-MP compatable. It runs UNICOS and all the applications
optimized for the X-MP. The general characteristics are:

    55 ns clock
    64-bit architecture
    64 or 128 MB memory
    80 ns DRAM
    576 MB/s bandwidth
    4 memory ports (2 read, 1 write, 1 i/o)
    VME I/O subsystem
    36 MFLOPS peak (100x100 is 9, 1000x1000 is 34)

>Ditto for the YMP/EL.

  The YMP/EL has not, as of yet, been officially announced, but here are
some specs which have been provided in the past:

    30 ns clock
    64-bit vector, Y-MP campatable
    256 to 1024 MB memory
    1 GB/sec bandwidth per CPU
    1 to 4 CPUs
    4 memory ports

  The rest will be available at time of announcement

>Thanks!

  You're welcome!